At this time of the year, I tend to start arranging mock exams for students who are sitting their exam in the October season here in Australia. I normally get students to sit at least one mock exam, preferably two, prior to their actual exam and I generally use my own teacher and/or friends who are teachers to conduct them.
I find that mock exams are beneficial for a number of reasons:
- Students have the experience of performing under pressure for a stranger in an unfamiliar environment (just like an exam)
- Students get feedback from an alternate perspective
- Preparing for a mock exam a few weeks out from their actual exam date means that students are prepared well in advance
- It gives the teacher time to fix up any issues well before the exam date
- It’s a double-check that you’ve prepared your student thoroughly
The process got me wondering: How many other teachers do this for their students? Do you believe it’s important? If you use them, who runs them for you? I also recently had a parent question the need for a mock exam as their child’s previous teacher(s) had never done them. I was brought up with them when I was learning and I continue to run my studio in the same way.
What about you?
For what level students do you request mock exams? ie. do you do it for all exam grades or just advanced students? Personally, I do it for any student sitting any level exam.
I generally ask my teacher to run mock exams for my students. Who do you use?
Looking forward to your feedback!
ps. You can view the results of each poll by clicking “view results” at the bottom of each box.
Latest posts by Tim Topham (see all)
- Event Release: Christopher Norton Australian Tour Sep/Oct 2015 - September 4, 2015
- TTTV011: NCKP Round-Up (Solo Sunday) - August 30, 2015
- Music Education Podcasts Creating Modern Musicians - August 25, 2015
- How to import sheet music into your iPad - August 20, 2015